Listen wherever you get podcasts: linktr.ee/jackofallgraves
This week we decided to give the Netflix documentary series Surviving Death a whirl. It did not go well. BUT it did make us want to know more about the science behind near-death experiences and what’s going on with our brains when we die.
[0:00] Mark explains the Schmidt Pain Index
[10:20] We can’t help but get into the Armie Hammer cannibal stuff
[19:15] We put bios on our website, we’re making a FB group, and we’ve scheduled our next JoAG Watch Along! Mark your calendars for February 6th to watch Evil Dead 2 with us on Discord!
[21:40] We talk about “Near-Death Experiences” and scientific theories of where consciousness is located
[66:05] Things we’ve watched this week and whether or not we recommend them.
Stuff We Referenced:
- The Schmidt Pain Index: https://www.nhm.ac.uk/scroller-schmidt-painscale/
- The Science of Near-Death Experiences: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-science-of-near-death-experiences/386231/
- Sam Parnia – the man who could bring you back from the dead: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/apr/06/sam-parnia-resurrection-lazarus-effect
- Where Do You Go When You Die? The Increasing Signs That Human Consciousness Remains After Death: https://www.newsweek.com/where-do-you-go-when-you-die-increasing-signs-human-consciousness-after-death-800443
- What Near-Death Experiences Reveal about the Brain: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-near-death-experiences-reveal-about-the-brain/
- What Can Science Tell Us About Death?: https://www.nyas.org/news-articles/academy-news/is-there-life-after-death/
- Podcast: Near-Death Experience Research w/ Dr. Peter Fenwick: https://skeptiko.com/64-near-death-experience-research-dr-peter-fenwick/
- Does Consciousness Exist Outside of the Brain?: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/think-well/201906/does-consciousness-exist-outside-the-brain
- How Do You Know You Know? Origin of human consciousness may lie in newly pinpointed brain network: https://hms.harvard.edu/news/how-do-you-know-you-know
This Week in What-We-Watched: