Mark wondered about the connection between suffering/oppression and innovation/progress, so we explore whether these things are inherently connected.
[0:00] CoRri tells Mark about the phenomenon of mass psychogenic illness, and it turns out Mark has experienced it
[22:50] Not to harp on this soccer thing, but boy does it bring out the worst in the UK. Still, CoRri got kind of into it. Plus, a reminder that July 24th is our vampire watch-along and you should vote in the poll for what to watch on Twitter!
[33:00] Our weekly chat about what horror movies we’ve been watching
[51:15] We discuss whether suffering is necessary for progress, or whether history has simply made us complacent to it
Stuff we referenced:
- Mass psychogenic illness and the social network: is it changing the pattern of outbreaks? – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3536509/
- Frequency and Predictors of Mass Psychogenic Illness – https://journals.lww.com/epidem/Fulltext/2010/09000/Frequency_and_Predictors_of_Mass_Psychogenic.31.aspx
- Was Ripon school gripped by mass psychogenic illness? – https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/nov/14/was-ripon-school-gripped-by-mass-psychogenic-illness
- Mass sociogenic illness – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC543940/
- Afghan girls’ school feared hit by poison gas – https://www.reuters.com/article/instant-article/idUSBRE93K09V20130421
- School pupils collapse at Outwood Academy in Ripon. – https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-34789661#
- Mass hysteria: An epidemic of the mind? – https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322607