Click here to listen everywhere!
A guy who received the first pig-to-human heart transplant set Mark off on a journey this week, and we all benefit from his hyperfixation on the history of transfusions, transplants, and putting monkey balls where they absolutely should not be.
[0:00] CoRri tells Mark about the mindset of people who climb Mt. Everest and about the problem of all the dead bodies up there.
[20:00] Mark declares Coronavirus over, we thank you all for the birthday wishes you sent to Mark’s son Owen, and introduce our brand new Ko-Fi page! Go subscribe!
[37:24] It’s time to talk about what we watched!
[57:00] Mark discusses the mad scientists who’ve attempted to use animals in human medical procedures from blood transfusions to heart transplants.
Stuff we referenced:
- Did Red Tape Kill a Man on Annapurna? – https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/annapurna-death/
- Death in the clouds: The problem with Everest’s 200+ bodies – https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20151008-the-graveyard-in-the-clouds-everests-200-dead-bodies
- The tragic tale of Mt Everest’s most famous dead body – https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20151008-the-tragic-story-of-mt-everests-most-famous-dead-body
- Glacier melt on Everest exposes the bodies of dead climbers – https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/21/asia/everest-glacier-dead-bodies-scli-intl/index.html
- The Mountain More Deadly Than Everest – https://historyofyesterday.com/the-mountain-more-deadly-than-everest-2e3fd45ecd94
- Training for Mt. Everest – https://www.alpineascents.com/climbs/mount-everest/training/
- The True Story of Dr. Voronoff’s Plan to Use Monkey Testicles to Make Us Immortal – https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-true-story-of-dr-voronoffs-plan-to-use-monkey-testicles-to-make-us-immortal
- A Brief History of Xenotransplantation – https://www.omixon.com/brief-history-xenotransplantation/
- Hopes to Find Fountain of Youth in a Monkey Colony – https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1913&dat=19230718&id=z3QpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=hWYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2932,1194005&hl=en