Click here to listen everywhere!
Since Mark is seeing Nine Inch Nails and CoRri is seeing Midnight Oil this weekend, we’re doing a Friday party-sode! We’re sipping on some suds and talking about CoRri’s disability, how racism ruined swimming in America, our irrational celebrity hatreds, Star Trek, actor accents, Nightmare on Elm Street’s enduring legacy, and more! This one is surprisingly uplifting, so cuddle up with us, friends.
[0:00] CoRri tells Mark how the legacy of racism has ruined swimming for Black folks in the United States
[17:25] We jump right into a discussion of irrational hatreds of celebrities and the absurdity of the passage of time
[29:18] Mark is going to see Nine Inch Nails in a…. biodome? And this leads us into a discussion of the gloriousness of Star Trek. It makes sense, I swear.
[41:39] Mark watched In The Mouth of Madness and, like the movie, the conversation spirals! From Sam Neil’s accent to Christian Bale’s improvisation skills, and our own acting and filmmaking backgrounds
[52:13] What we watched!
Stuff we referenced:
- Racial History of American Swimming Pools : NPR
- Challenging the Myth that ‘Blacks Can’t Swim’ – 5 Questions with Filmmaker Ed Accura | Pool Safely
- Racial Disparities in Swimming: What Can We Do?
- Racism at American Pools Isn’t New: A Look at a Long History
- Taika Waititi & Rhys Darby Take Lie Detector Tests | Vanity Fair