Click here to listen everywhere!
Mark’s on a camping trip, so the inimitable Kristin Latourelle joins Corrigan to discuss their shared evangelical past and the very, very thin — possibly non-existent — line between mainstream Christianity and a cult. It’s a long one, so, y’know, use the time stamps.
[0:00] CoRri tells Kristin the story of Ursula and Sabina Eriksson and their strange case of folie à deux.
[20:00] CoRri welcomes back Kristin and we announce a little book club we’re doing in conjunction with The Laydown podcast. We’re reading The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix. Hit us up on social media if you want to be a part of it!
[26:50] We reflect on what we’ve watched this week.
[39:30] We came here to talk about Jesus… or, okay. His followers. Is there really a difference between the mainstream church and a cult? We’re not so sure.
Stuff we referenced:
- Psychotic identical ‘highway’ twins run into Britain’s busiest motorway | 60 Minutes Australia – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MmVHUF-RAA
- Shared Psychotic Disorder & Mystical Delusions | Folie à deux – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLE4R_ntkBw
- The Twins Who Ran into Traffic Before Stabbing a Man to Death – https://www.vice.com/en/article/xwpzvj/the-twins-who-ran-into-traffic-before-stabbing-a-man-to-death
- The Seven Signs That You’re In A Cult – https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/06/the-seven-signs-youre-in-a-cult/361400/
- The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill podcast – https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/podcasts/rise-and-fall-of-mars-hill/
- John Ortberg Steps Down – https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2020/07/29/popular-pastor-john-ortberg-resigns-california-megachurch/
- Megachurch pastor John Ortberg kept a family member’s attraction to children secret. Then his son blew the whistle – https://religionnews.com/2020/07/06/megachurch-pastor-john-ortberg-family-member-attraction-to-children-secret-menlo-church-daniel-lavery-whistelblower/