This week we’re diving into torture, whether state sanctioned or the work of criminal elements like cartels and serial killers.
[0:00] CoRri talks about the tragic and terrifying Lake Nyos disaster
[16:40] Mark issues and episode content warning for descriptions of torture, we re-introduce our wonderful guest, Hollywood Steve of the Dead and Lovely podcast, and we talk about Mark’s need for sensory input that drove this week’s choice of topic.
[28:55] We recap our watch-along and talk about what we’ve been watching this week.
[53:18] A detour into the cultural dystopia of the late ’90s and early aughts inspired by HBO Max’s new Woodstock ’99 documentary.
[1hr2mins] We talk about whether humans are the only animal that tortures, and what kinds of torture have existed and currently exist.
Stuff we referenced:
- The Deadly Cloud at Lake Nyos – https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2019/08/21/the-deadly-cloud-at-lake-nyos/
- How did Lake Nyos suddenly kill 1,700 people? – https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/lake-nyos.htm
- Defusing Africa’s Killer Lakes – https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/defusing-africas-killer-lakes-88765263/
- Inmate Timothy L. Redman Tortured to Death at Ely State Prison, Nevada – http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/2009/11/inmate-timothy-l-redman-tortured-to-death-at-ely-state-prison-nevada/
- Torture in United States Prisons – https://www.afsc.org/sites/default/files/documents/torture_in_us_prisons.pdf
- UN shadow report: Prisoner testimonies of torture in U.S. prisons and jails – https://www.afsc.org/document/survivors-speak-prisoner-testimonies-torture-united-states-prisons-and-jails
- Institute for Policy Studies: Let’s End Torture in U.S. Prisons – https://ips-dc.org/lets-end-torture-u-s-prisons/
- Survivors Speak: Prisoner Testimonies of Torture in U.S. Prisons & Jails – https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/media/publications/Survivors%20Speak%20–%20Prisoner%20Torture%20Testimoneies%2C%20ASFC%2C%202014.pdf
- The American Prison and the Normalization of Torture – https://www.historiansagainstwar.org/resources/torture/brucefranklin.html