It’s a brand new year, and with it comes, well, some of the same old anxieties. We’re diving deep into what makes us nervous in 2022, but cutting it with some movie talk and some optimistic thoughts about capybaras.
[0:00] CoRri tells Mark about the devastatingly dangerous 1950s morning sickness cure, Thalidomide
[17:50] We talk about our attitudes toward the new year and go on quite a spiral about capybaras
[31:50] Mark’s annual new year’s dead pool takes a shocking plot twist. Plus, our next book club is January 22nd and our next watch-along is January 29th, so mark your calendars!
[50:20] We face a rare disagreement in the types of movies we like to watch
[1hr8:30] We discuss what we’re anxious about in 2022, and why we respond differently to Don’t Look Up. (we get past talking about the movie specifically at 1hr16)
Stuff we referenced:
- The Shadow of the Thalidomide Tragedy | Retro Report | The New York Times – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41n3mDoVbvk
- UK Science Museum: Thalidomide – https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/medicine/thalidomide
- After 60 years, scientists uncover how thalidomide produced birth defects – https://www.dana-farber.org/newsroom/news-releases/2018/after-60-years–scientists-uncover-how-thalidomide-produced-birth-defects/
- What is Thalidomide? – https://thalidomide.ca/en/what-is-thalidomide/
- Thalidomide: the tragedy of birth defects and the effective treatment of disease – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21507989/
- The Thalidomide Story – https://sydneyuniversitypress.com.au/blogs/news/the-thalidomide-story