This week Mark’s doctor gave him some pills to help him with his sleeping problem, which got him thinking about how lucky we are to live at a time when we can be prescribed a pill rather than experiencing some of the horrendous historical treatments for mental illness we discuss in this episode.
[0:00] CoRri tells Mark about the Neubauer twin experiments
[21:45] We talk about anxiety surrounding the events unfolding in Ukraine and what it means to be living in “interesting times”
[39:00] We discuss our watch-along and Christian Bale’s inscrutable accent
[51:26] What we watched!
[75:30] The medication Mark was given to sleep has him thinking about historical treatments for mental illness
Stuff we referenced:
- The twins of Auschwitz – https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30933718
- CSUF professor’s book sheds light on a mid-century scandal – https://www.ocregister.com/2021/11/05/csuf-professors-book-sheds-light-on-a-mid-century-scandal/
- Three Identical Strangers: Was the twin separation study ethical? – https://www.newscientist.com/article/2208369-three-identical-strangers-was-the-twin-separation-study-ethical/
- A U.S. Science Experiment that Deliberately Separated Jewish Identical Twins from Birth – https://medium.com/lessons-from-history/a-u-s-science-experiment-that-deliberately-separated-jewish-identical-twins-from-birth-b7ce8deaca4f
- ‘Three Identical Strangers’: It’s not too late to address the ethical violations – https://www.statnews.com/2019/02/07/three-identical-strangers-address-ethical-violations/
- Twins reveal horror of being separated at birth — and for years after – https://nypost.com/2021/12/11/twins-reveal-horror-of-study-that-kept-them-apart-for-decades/
- Lessons From a Controversial Study That ‘Deliberately Divided’ Twins – https://news.fullerton.edu/2021/10/lessons-from-a-controversial-study-that-deliberately-divided-twins/
- 60 Years On, Twin/Triplet Study Still Raises Questions – https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/generalpsychiatry/80829
- Records from controversial twin study sealed at Yale until 2065 – https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/10/01/records-from-controversial-twin-study-sealed-at-yale-until-2065/